Image Map

Friday, January 11, 2013

Mint Marshmallows


Any redditors out there? This year I am attempting to complete the "52 week cooking challenge," on Reddit. Each week is a new theme which may be an ingredient, a type of food, or some kind of inspiration.

Last week was appetizers so I made margherita pastry squares, which were so easy and tasty. But this week's theme was mint, and I was a little stumped. I don't really like mint that much, except for in a cocktail. :)

I started thinking candy, and then it hit me...mint marshmallows! All the recipes I found used peppermint extract, but I chose the natural route and used mint leaves. I had never made marshmallows before, but Martha's recipe was really easy. It deserves extra points because I didn't need to buy a candy thermometer.


Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

You Need:
Nonstick cooking spray
  • 3 (1/4-ounce) packages unflavored gelatin
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 10-15 mint leaves
  • Confectioners' sugar, sifted, for coating

Directions

  1. Lightly spray a 9-by-9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Dust pan with powdered sugar, making sure to coat the sides as well; set aside.

  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water; let stand for 10 minutes. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup,  1/4 cup water and mint leaves. Place saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil; boil rapidly for 1 minute. Remove from heat, and strain mint leaves. With the mixer on high, slowly pour the boiling syrup down the side of the mixer bowl into gelatin mixture. Add approximately 5 finely chopped mint leaves into mixture, if desired. Add salt and continue mixing for 12 minutes.*
    *Having your beater on for 12 minutes may cause your cat to be really annoying wonderfully curious.
  3. Spray a rubber spatula or your hands with cooking spray. Spread gelatin mixture evenly into pan using prepared spatula or lightly wet hands. Spray a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place, spray side down, on top of marshmallows. Let stand for 2 hours or overnight. 
  4. Carefully remove marshmallows from pan. Remove all plastic wrap and discard. Cut marshmallows into 2-inch squares using a sprayed sharp knife. Place confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Working in batches, add marshmallows to bowl and toss to coat.


2 comments:

  1. As a fellow redditor, I am sad I didn't see this challenge. Maybe I'll start late? Homemade breads may be where I start. Love your kitchenaid by the way. The white is so simple and clean looking, even with your little friend all curious over beside it.

    Love the mint marshmallows by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your recipes make me drool and also make me want to stay in the kitchen and cook! -Jess L

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate each and every one.