Image Map

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Ice Cream Sunday: Chocolate Nutter Butter Ice Cream


When I was brainstorming what ice cream to make for this week, I realized I haven't made chocolate ice cream yet (well, Nutella ice cream kinda counts). How this happened, I'm not quite sure. So, I set out to make the creamiest, richest, most chocolatey ice cream I could. I am happy to report this mission was accomplished.

This chocolate ice cream means seriously business. Think frozen chocolate ganache. Extremely rich and creamy, one scoop is sure to satisfy your chocolate cravings. But when it's this good...why stop at satisfied? The Nutter Butter cookies add that perfect crunch and bit of saltiness.

Speaking of Nutter Butters, I feel like these cookies are seriously underrated. They are so good! I remember in elementary school, whenever a kid would bring these as a snack for the class, they were a hero for the rest of the day. Following that logic, you'll be a hero when you make this ice cream.


Chocolate & Nutter Butter Ice Cream
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate
1 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 tbs. cocoa powder
4 egg yolks
1/8 cup sugar
Nutter Butter cookies, roughly chopped (I used about 10-15)

1. Add milk, whipping cream and chocolate into a saucepan and turn on medium low heat. Stir frequently until chocolate is melted and mixture is thoroughly combined. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
2. In a stand mixer (or electric hand mixer) whip egg yolks and sugar until eggs lighten in color.
3. Whisking constantly, slowly add chocolate mixture into egg mixture. Return mixture into the saucepan and stir over medium-low for several minutes. Once custard has thickened slightly, place into an airtight container and let cool for several hours to overnight in the refrigerator.
4. Place custard into ice cream machine until the texture of soft serve. Add Nutter Butter cookies, and transfer into an airtight container and let freeze for several hours to overnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate each and every one.