Image Map

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Cheesy Twice-Baked Spaghetti Squash


I'm about two weeks away from my trip to Iceland, and I'm starting to get so excited! I'm feeling prepared with a new coat, a hat, sweaters and gloves. I can't wait to explore a new country, try strange food and jump out of my comfort zone. I'm a little bit of a nervous traveler, so I have been doing as much research as I can to prepare myself. 

In the meantime, I'm gonna enjoy being comfortable. Cheesy baked spaghetti squash definitely falls into the comfort food category, so let's do this thing.


I loved making this dish because it's great as a side, or on its own. The next day I added some kale on top and made a salad of sorts. I love how versatile it is, and while it doesn't replace my cravings for pasta, it comes pretty close!

Cheesy Twice-Baked Spaghetti Squash
1 spaghetti squash, cut in half
1/2 cup ricotta cheese (add a splash of milk to thin)
1/3 cup feta cheese
1/3 cup parmesan cheese + extra for the top
1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
1/4 cup fresh basil, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
Splash of balsamic (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Once squash has been cut in half lengthwise, place on cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and top with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and let roast for approximately 45 minutes, or until the inside is tender when poked with a fork.
2. Remove squash from the oven, and using a fork remove squash from the skin. Place in a large bowl.
3. Add feta, tomatoes, basil and parmesan. Mix ricotta with a small amount of milk to thin slightly (this makes it easier to mix). Add ricotta to the bowl.


4. Toss ingredients together until mixed well. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and add a splash of balsamic vinegar if you'd like.
5. Spoon mixture back into the spaghetti squash skins, sprinkle with parmesan and place bake onto the cookie sheets. Cover with foil, and place back into the oven for 20-30 minutes.


6. Remove from the oven, and let cool slightly. Enjoy! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate each and every one.